LOCATION: LAKE DISTRICT, CUMBRIA
DURATION: 1 DAY
Coniston Old Man Round:
Coniston Old Man is the mountain that guards the entrance of the Copper Mines valley. A mountain valley above Coniston, in the Western Lake District. The valley is long and deep, and is enclosed by a cirque of rugged mountains: Coniston Old Man (803m), Swirl How (802m) and Wetherlam (762m), and to hike them together is an adventurous day hike through the historical valley and across the mountain tops.
The hike is led by our expert Mountain Leaders that are qualified, insured and highly experienced. All you need to do is come with sense of adventure; we’ll do the rest.
The hike around the Copper Mine Valley can be shortened or lengthened depending on the strength of the group and the prevailing conditions. The full itinerary:
- Meet at the Sun Inn, Coniston. Safety briefing.
- Walk up Church beck to Miners Bridge.
- Ascend The Old Man of Coniston.
- Walk North onto Swirl How.
- Descend the Prison Band to Swirl Hawse. Ascend Wetherlam.
- Descend Wetherlam to Red Gill Head Moss, then onto the Miners Bridge.
- Return to The Sun Inn debrief and depart.
Hiking the Coniston Old Man round is a 1 day trek of 12.5 km with a total ascent approximately 1000m.
The terrain is mountainous, rough/uneven, sometimes steep and/or loose, and often rocky. Commitment to the route is moderate.
The hike is therefore moderate in difficulty and is suitable for beginners with good fitness, experience walking off-road, and a good drive for adventure.
The event costs include specialist equipment such as maps, compasses and first aid equipment, etc, that will be carried by our Mountain Leader/s. Participants are required to bring some mandatory personal kit:
- Rucksack large enough for all your kit
- Walking boots
- Outdoor clothing (No jeans!)
- Waterproof jacket and trousers
- Food and drink
- Personal medication (if required)
A comprehensive kit list is given with the joining instructions. We also have lots of kit to loan out, so if we can help you out simply let us know what you need on your booking form.
Dates for 2022:
Contact for private bookings on email email@example.com or the enquiry form below