Our 2 day Hill Skills courses are personal skills courses, accredited by Mountain Training. The course provide a perfect introduction to hillwalking for anyone of any ability. You’ll cover where to walk, what to wear, how to plan and follow routes, useful information about the upland environment and weather, and what to do if things don’t go to plan.
By the end of the course you will have gained the skills and techniques to be confident and comfortable planning, and undertaking, your own hill walks. You will have loads of time outside on practical learning days.
Hill Skills course covers:
- Walking Skills – what things you should consider while out walking and what can make life easier (pace, nutrition, movement skills)
- Navigation Skills – including using basic features and symbols, using a compass, navigation strategies and electronic devices
- Weather – how it affects the hills and your day out
- Clothing and Equipment – how being suitably dressed and equipped can make the difference between a good day out and a bad day out
- Environment – how to minimise your impact on the hill and good practice
- Hazards and Emergency Procedures – how to deal with any hazards you encounter and what to do in an emergency
What you can expect:
During a Hill Skills course, you can expect to start each day at about 10am. The first part of the course is spent indoors, getting to know the other people on the course and gaining an understanding of basic hill walking planning. Your experienced tutor will outline the plans for the course before you head out into the hills. The end of the day will usually involve a short indoor session to review the day and plan the following day’s outing.
You can expect to be out walking each day for around 4-5 hours and generally on Hill Skills courses this will be on footpaths or trails that are rough underfoot. Much of the journey during the course will involve learning opportunities and as such, the pace of the day is friendly and will include plenty of breaks.
No experience required to join this course, just an enthusiasm to be outdoors!
We know everyones abilities are different and we will tailor the course to the needs of those attending.
Full kit list will be provided with joining instructions. You will also get:
- A copy of the Safety on Mountains book
- A navigational timing card
- A certificate of attendance for completing each course
- Lifetime use of the Mountain Training digital logbook (DLOG) for recording your walks
Tinkadventures is a registered provider of the Mountain Training Hill and Mountain Skills courses and our tutors are accredited by Mountain Training.
Throughout all our courses Tinkadventures seeks to promote the AdventureSmart.uk initiative to ensure safety in the outdoors.