Our 2 day Mountain Skills courses are personal skills courses, accredited by Mountain Training, that will give you the skills and confidence to plan and follow your own walks across the fells and mountains.
This course is designed for walkers who want to move their walking from valleys and hills to the fells and mountains.
Push yourself to walk on steeper, remoter or more mountainous terrain as you’re introduced to the new factors to consider when walking on British and Irish mountains.
Covering everything from pace and nutrition, to clothing systems and weather and navigation. You will complete this course and have the basic skills you need to feel safer walking in mountainous terrain where you might be further from the path, and in more unpredictable conditions. The rewards of pushing yourself further and knowing you have the skills are immense.
Mountain Skills course covers:
- Planning – how to successfully plan a walk in the mountains in the UK or Ireland.
- Walking skills – what things should you consider while out walking and what can make life easier (pace, nutrition, movement skills, steep ground etc.).
- Clothing and equipment – being suitably dressed and equipped can make the difference between a great day out and a complete disaster.
- Weather – how it affects the mountains and your day out.
- Navigation in the mountains – everything from selecting a compass and using a map to navigation in poor visibility and an intro to GPS.
- Environmental knowledge – how to minimise your impact on the hill, information on good practice and useful organisations.
- Hazards and emergency procedures in the mountains – how to respond to any hazards you encounter and what to do in an emergency.
What you can expect:
A Mountain Skills course will start with an opportunity to meet the other people on the course and take part in a short planning session with the course tutor. After that you will be out in the mountains, moving away from marked paths and into steeper, rockier terrain in order to learn about the differences in weather, navigation and managing risk in the mountain environment.
The physical effort required on these days will be more demanding than the Hill Skills course and you can expect to be out in the mountains for between 5-6 hours.
You will gain more from this course if you have already done some hillwalking and have some experience being out on the hills in the UK.
You should be able to walk in the region of six to eight miles for up to six hours each day on rough terrain, but we know everyones abilities are different and we will tailor the course to the needs of those attending.
Full kit list will be provided with joining instructions. You also get:
- A copy of the Safety on Mountains book
- A navigational timing card
- A certificate of attendance for completing each course
- Lifetime use of our digital logbook (DLOG) for recording your mountain walking
Throughout all our courses Tinkadventures seeks to promote the AdventureSmart.uk initiative to ensure safety in the outdoors.