LOCATION: THE LAKE DISTRICT
DURATION: 3 DAYS, 2 NIGHTS
RATIO: 4-16 MIN-MAX
COST: £367PP ALL INCLUSIVE
Ennerdale is a remote Lakeland valley between the popular valleys of Wasdale and Buttermere in the Western Lake District. Being closed-off to traffic, it remains remote, quiet and wild.
The complete traverse of its periphery is 3 day expedition of 35km that crosses 10 of The Lake Districts’ western summits including Pillar (892m), Kirkfell (802m) and Great Gable (901m). The trip utilises YHA Black Sail hut that is situated at the head of Ennerdale. All food and accommodation is provided.
The expedition is led by our expert Mountain Leaders that are qualified, insured and highly experienced. All you need to do is come with sense of adventure; we’ll do the rest.
- Meet at Bowness Car Park in Ennerdale. Introductions and safety brief. (Local transfers can be arranged on request).
- Day 1 trek over Haycock, Scoat Fell and Pillar to the Black Sail hut (13.5km).
- Day 2 hike over Kirkfell, Great Gable and Green Gable. Return to Black Sail Hut (9km).
- Day 3 trek over Haystacks and High Stile and Red Pike to Ennerdale/Bowness carpark (14km).
- Debrief and depart. (Local transfers can be arranged on request).
The expedition is a 3 day mountain walking trip of 35km with a daily ascent approximately 900m.
The terrain is often rocky and in some areas technical, requiring scrambling at grade 1. Commitment to the route is moderate. The event is therefore moderate in difficulty and suitable for beginners with good fitness and some experience walking off-road.
The event costs include specialist equipment such as maps, compasses and first aid equipment, that will be carried by our Mountain Leader/s. Participants are required to bring some mandatory personal kit:
- Rucksack large enough for all your kit
- Walking boots
- Outdoor clothing (No jeans!)
- Waterproof jacket and trousers
- 2-3 season sleeping bag
- Water bottle
- Personal medication (if required)
A comprehensive kit list is given with the joining instructions. We also have lots of kit to loan out, so if we can help you out simply let us know what you need on your booking form.
Dates for 2022: