This is the ideal course for absolutely anybody looking to start climbing on real rock, even if you’ve never climbed before!
You will get to spend a day climbing on some of the best crags in the North of England, climbing some of the classic routes and learning key climbing skills.
Once basic safety has been learnt, you will be encouraged to go at your own pace, climbing routes within your ability, and become inspired to pursue the sport further.
All climbing courses are suitable for 12 years and upwards, though under 18s must be accompanied by an adult.
The course covers:
A whole day climbing on rock outdoors! You will also learn:
- Background and Planning: An awareness of the types of places you can climb in the UK and Ireland, how to use guidebooks and mobile devices to find crags and routes and crag etiquette.
- Climbing Skills: Fundamental movement skills and climbing styles.
- Footwear and Equipment: Footwear and equipment selection and how to use the kit you choose.
- Technical Skills: Tying into a harness, belaying, spotting and how to abseil.
- Environmental Knowledge: The impact of climbers at the crag, ethics, access and environmental considerations for climbers.
- Hazards and Emergency Procedures: Identifying hazards, managing risk, understanding common injuries and how to get help in an emergency.
The course costs include the use of specialist equipment and all training materials. We encourage you to use your own gear if available so you get confident with it, but are happy to loan any equipment that you may need e.g. helmet, harness or boots, free of charge. Simply let us know what you need on your booking form.
A suggested kit list together is in the joining instructions.