Our intermediate rock climbing course is two days of climbing on amazing crags and learning from expert instructors. The course is accredited by Mountain Training.
So if you’ve done a bit of indoor climbing and want to develop your skills and techniques for outdoors then this course is for you!
In this two day course running over a Saturday and Sunday you will learn how to be a safe belayer, how to second routes competently and how to belay a lead climber. You will develop your climbing movement skills and learn how to place protection and construct belays.
The two days are flexible to get the best out of the weather and match what we do to your individual ambitions.
This course is suitable for anyone aged 12 and over though anyone under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
The course covers:
You will get to spend two days climbing real rock!
- Background and Planning: Choosing a suitable venue, how to use guidebooks and mobile devices to find crags and routes and crag etiquette.
- Climbing Skills. Warming up and injury avoidance, developing your movement skills and widening your repertoire of climbing moves.
- Footwear and Equipment. Rock shoe fit, selecting the right equipment for improved performance and an introduction to climbing protection.
- Technical Skills. Building anchors, selecting runners, ropework, belaying, holding falls, lowering, seconding a route and personal abseiling.
- Environmental Knowledge. The impact of climbers at the crag, ethics, access and environmental considerations.
- Hazards and Emergency Procedures. Identifying hazards, managing risk when climbing, abseiling and bouldering, understanding common injuries, how to get help and the role of Mountain Rescue.
The course costs include the use of specialist equipment and all training materials. We encourage you to use your own gear if available so you get confident with it, but are happy to loan any equipment that you may need e.g. helmet, harness or boots, free of charge. Simply let us know what you need on your booking form.
A suggested kit list together is in the joining instructions.