Being the Ultimate Dragon – Dragon’s Back Race

I had entered the Dragons Back Race in 2022 as a 40th birthday present to myself but then bottled out, feeling under prepared and like I was trying to achieve the impossible. Having deferred a year I was then committed to doing it in 2023. So it committed me to training properly and gaining the confidence in myself too.

Day 1: 49km and 3900m

I hadn’t slept much and was feeling sick with nerves on arriving at Conwy Castle.

Surrounded by flags from nations around the world, I had the overwhelming feeling that I was lost and didn’t belong there. Listening to the Welsh Male Choir singing in the castle at dawn, was special but only increased my nerves.

However, once we set off I found myself excited for the journey. My game plan was to manage a sensible pace that I could sustain but wouldn’t burn me out, given I had 6 days of running ahead. The rising temperature dictated that this pace was slower than I imagined.

The route over the Carneddau was straight forward but it was clear that the temperature would change the race for a lot of people.

Once at the Tryfan support point I ate and topped up water and raced on. Half way up the heat hit me and I had to sit for 20 mins waiting for nausea to pass. At that point I realised my tactics for the race was going to have to change. It was going to be about keeping cool and being just fast enough for the cut offs.

I managed an ok pace back down Tryfan and up the scree onto the Glyderau, which was thankfully in the shade.

As I descended to the Pen Y Pass cut off I was in good spirits, downed a cold Sprite and headed off up Crib Goch. I ran the next section with Phila, an Australian girl who has on her second attempt of the race. We got across Crib Goch in good time, somewhat frustrated by the slow pace of some of those struggling with the scrambling.

We then took a diversion on a traverse route to the Pyg track, having realised the final summit of the ridge wasn’t a control point anymore. It’s debatable whether this was quicker as we still ended up on tricky ground, loose scree and boulders, before we got on the Pyg track. We beat the final cut off at the top of the Pyg track and soldiered on to Snowdon summit. From here, across to Lliwedd I started to feel really sick with heat exhaustion. By the time I got to the end of the ridge and the final descent to camp I was almost vomiting.

The final descent to camp was by torchlight.

It was a surprise to see my friend Emily on the bridge before camp. So much so I burst into tears.

Once at camp I was saved by tent mate Isi who shoved food in my face and sorted my bed while I cooled and cleaned in the river with chips. And so started my week of night time river dips and late campsite arrivals.

Day 2 : 59km and 3400m

That’s not what worried me, the distance I could get through.

I had reccied sections of this bit of the race, across the Moelwyns and from Maentwrog to the Rhinogs, and I knew that the cut offs would be difficult without the added challenge of the heat.

I raced across the Moelwyns trying to keep up with everyone, and discovering my shorts were too short for the ass slide required down Cnicht in order to keep to the required pace. Ouch. The grazed bum cheeks would smart for a while.

I enjoyed running the Moelwyns with Cath, one of my tent mates who had a good pace and good conversation. After a quick break at the first cut off for a water top up, clothing dunk in water buckets and snacks, we headed off.

In the sunshine and clear skies the slog from Maentwrog to the car park cut off at the Rhinogs wasn’t too bad. I’d reccied it in the rain and the good visibility definitely improved the speed on this section.

I managed to arrive at the second cut off in time and grateful of the bonus 30 mins break we’d been allocated due to the heat. It seemed too many people dropped out on day one and too many rescued that we’d be allocated a 30 minute break period each day at one of the cut offs. Tired from the pace in the heat I wasted an additional 20 minutes here trying to get food in and cool down.

The pace across the Rhinogs seemed more achieveable and I knew to keep to the guide time would be easier having reccied this section and found myself with plenty of time. But the intense heat was affecting my ability to eat during the day so I was running on little fuel.

By the time I arrived in camp in the dark at around 9.30pm, I was knackered and starving.

Once at camp I dived in the river to cool down, ate as much food as possible before crawling into bed for 5 and half hours sleep.

Day 3: 70km and 3400m

Another morning waking at 4.15am. There’s 8 of us in the huge tent and 3 of us are still going for a dragon. But the Hatchlings are up early too as they still have to abide by cut offs. So there’s 8 of us shuffling around by torch light. I spend about an hour taping my feet which have started to get destroyed, blisters from being macerated and not rested.

I then pack my sleeping bag and mat, and dress (it’s a clean T-shirt day) and put in my contacts. I’ve got 4 stuff sacks labelled for ‘just in camp’, ‘bed’, ‘clothes’ and ‘morning’ so I know what I need when. Packed up I waddle over to the food tent for breakfast – at this point hash browns are all I am eating but I get lots. I handed in my bags and get a kit check and I’m off at 6am.

70km today and 3400m of ascent, though I’m telling myself once I’ve got over Cadair Idris I’ve done the uphill for the day. Not true but helped motivate me in the morning.

By the time I reach the first cut off I’m doing ok but it’s hot and there’s no breeze. After a dunk in the river I carry on, not long after an elite runner bails out from heat exhaustion. The weather is taking out lots of people.

The route continues on tracks up to hill tops that are annoyingly steep, there’s not a lot of water on the route and what there is I’m definitely cooling myself in. The out and back to the final summit felt tedious in the heat. At the top I share some of my water with another runner who’s run out. On the way down I pass about 30 people on their way up. Later I wonder if they made the second cut off in time.

It’s then a series of forest tracks down to Machynlleth. Famed for the place dragons can top up on delights from the shops before they rest at the cut off. I arrive on the edge of town with 50 mins to get to the cut off on the other side – in a panic I head straight for the support point. No can of coke for me.

After another allocated 30 mins of break time I cool and eat the salty olives I packed in my drop bag (the only snack working for me) and an ice lolly from from of the other runners, and head off.

More moorland paths and tracks that take forever and require endless dips in rivers to keep cool.

The last ascent of Pumlumon Fawr tested me mentally. A runner panicked about being out in the dark and not knowing where they were. So instead of taking a short cut trod up a banking to get up the mountain, I led the way on the given route, but this slowed me, uphill is where I’m strongest.

So I arrived at the summit later than I could have been and irritated, and knowing I was now one of the last three on the hill.

I left them at the summit as it was a clear track down and arrived at camp about 9.30pm. Melted ice cream was a free treat at the finish line and much appreciated, so I sat and had a whinge with one of the staff. Was my helping people holding me up?

Every night arriving in camp I was told by someone to get a jacket on as it’s cold. But cooking from the sun and sweaty, my priority list had changed. Cool and wash in river, dry feet, then eat food. While breakfast was a struggle I never found tea to be. I’d even have seconds if I was allowed (and there was any left given I arrived at camp so late).

Then wash up and bed. Remember to take out contact lenses now welded to my eyes. I’m grateful to my tent buddies for blowing up my sleeping mat for me. Baking from the sun I don’t need a sleeping bag as I finally crawl into bed at 11pm.

Rinse and repeat.

Day 4: Middle earth aka mid Wales – 69 km and 2300m

4.15am alarm and I’m now functioning on autopilot. Sort feet, contact lenses, dress, pack kit, get breakfast, hand in kit bag and go for 6am. It’s a good job I’m organised and not a faffer.

Today the 69km route followed moorland boggy paths and a steep forest descent to forest tracks, and then more moorland boggy trods. And tarmac. I hated the tarmac.

I spent the morning thinking it was a lot like home but also these were hill tops I never wanted to have to visit again.

At the final trig point on an obscure rock outcrop I was caught up by Carmine and his accordion. Look up Outdoorspirit1 on IG for the most crazy person to do the race this year. Chatting to him lifted my energy levels as we headed down into Elan village.

At Elan support point as Carmine played music, I opted for a change of shoes as well as socks as it was mostly hard trails and road from here. This also meant retaping my feet. It was taking me ages and in the end a medic took over a job I was doing badly. I spent 50 minutes there, but it was worth it to get my feet taped properly.

From here the route was endless tracks and roads past reservoirs I fantasised about swimming in. My highlight of the day was the farm trough with the pipe I could stick my head under.

The final road into camp lasted forever as I arrived again in the dark to repeat the night ritual of cooling off in the river, eat food, sort feet and go to bed.

Pleased I’d got through the day I went to bed nervous. Day 5 was the one I was dreading.

DBR day 5: 70km and 3200m

I gave myself one rule when I set off on the Dragons Back Race – I wouldn’t stop unless someone told me I had to. There’d be no quitting. Day 5 was the day that tested my resolve for that.

I knew it was going to be hard – heat, sunshine and no breeze, a morning of tarmac and hard trails with a hard first cut off time.

Leaving at 6am I started well and made it to Usk Reservoir ahead of time. Having reccied the next section I knew it was a lot of uphills and unclear paths but I had confidence getting to the first water point cut off would be ok. After a dousing in water I trudged up the next hill.

Somewhere between Fan Nedd and lying in the river before heading up Fan Llia, my eternal optimism left me. I had up to this point in the week been positive and motivated. I don’t know if it was the constant heat or lack of food I was able to consume in the day, but I got very stressed reaching the second cut off before Pen y Fan.

We’d been allocated 30 mins of break at both cut offs today due to the heat but it wasn’t clear what time the second cut off now was. Runners were all saying different times. Panicked that it was still 6pm and I was running out of time, I called Jared who could only see online that it was 6pm as none of the allocated break times had been updated on the public map.

So I pushed hard to get across to Fan Fawr summit and hurtled down to the underpass control to reach the second cut off at there Storey Arms Carpark. I was of course irritated to find it was actually 6.30pm and collapsed in a heap feeling sick.

Throughout the week I’d had regular texts from Sharon, Emily and Jared which had until now just been a nice way of keeping in touch with folk and a grip on reality. On day 5 these were a really strong motivator and kept me going and positive.

I left before 30 mins was up which was good as while the paths were more obvious across Corn Du and Pen y Fan, the route was far longer than just the main summits – including a long slog across to the obscure summit of Carn Pica.

I had been travelling with Jess at this point and as we reached the final summit control at Carn Pica we realised we really needed to pick up the pace to make the camp site cut off. I guess it wasn’t fast but having done nearly 70km at that point I was definitely pushing hard and as we hurtled down the hillside, through the boulderly bog down at the river to reach the road – I was definitely panicking. At one point on the unclear path in the woods we lost the main route and ended up on a trod to high, refusing to waste time back tracking I urged Jess to stick to the trod and on hearing a gate below us we bash down through the trees to hit the road.

When we hit tarmac I managed to keep pace with another runner ahead and made it into camp with under 15 minutes to the cut off. Feeling sick and broken. Not sure how I managed a sprint after 15+ hours out running. I might have been broken but I was really f**king grateful. I never wanted to have to do day 5 ever again.

I’m immensely grateful to my tent mates for their patience as I stumbled around the tent – requiring at least 5 times to be told to eat the curry in the box I’d been given as I arrived at camp and forget about the apple, before finally crawling into bed at midnight. I was too tired to consider that I was now going to finish the race.

Day 6: finally reaching Cardiff

69km to do today and some sneaky hills giving 1300m of ascent.

Despite knowing the pace required today was effectively a normal walking speed I left at 6am in the hope that a jogging pace might get me to Cardiff in daylight.

The slower required pace also meant I got to raid the Coop after Merthyr Tydfil – 2 lollies, a bottle of ice tea and a box of pineapple.

Full of nicer tasting fluid than my electrolytes and happy about ice lollies I made it up the next hill and down to the water point. I didn’t wait long as there was mention of more shops in Nelson so I pressed on and got 2 solero lollies as I passed through town.

The next hill was a scorcher with no shade and endless tarmac – so when I arrived at the final cut off very early to the sight of a local runner delivering hundreds of ice lollies – I got stuck in. Smashing my personal best I ate another 5 lollies before finally leaving for the long winding path to Cardiff.

The last 5 km seemed to take forever – the park near the castle felt huge and I was definitely trotting slowly by then.

The sense of relief crossing the finish line was immense and I burst out crying at seeing Jared stood there too. I was grateful to have made it in daylight and in time for the presentations too.

It’s taken a while to sink in that I’ve completed the Dragon’s Back Race. While I know I trained for it, it was a massive leap up for me compared to anything I’d done before.

I’m hugely grateful to the people I met during the race, the support crew and all my friends and family who’d been cheering me on – though I hadn’t realised till after I’d finished.

I learnt a lot through the experience – I’m more determined that I thought I was, your nutrition plan can fall apart in different weather conditions, battered feet recover relatively quickly and there’s nothing like a cold bath in a hotel at the end of the day.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: